I was sat
alone eating in a booth when to my left Derbyshire Man started to speak to me
about the earthquakes we'd been having. I said I remembered one once a long
time ago in a small room when I was a different person and used to write like
this a lot. His face was the ruddy one of a big time drinker. His
wife/girlfriend had amblyopia, she kept insisting he leave and sit with their
friends elsewhere, but the man was resigned to keeping his seat. She kept
saying he should leave me to finish my dinner. I made British mumbles that
implied otherwise and took a sip of water.
On the high
ceiling I heard rain, there were no other windows and there wasn’t a whisper of
natural light. Across to the left two elderly men sang. After a while one of
them took the earplugs out his ears and flicked off the CD player. 'Dildo's,
have you heard of those dildos?' The one with his back to me screamed. I kept
seeing the future. Kept getting scared. That would be me in thirty years. The
way I was feeling it could be three.
Derbyshire
Man leaned in and started to talk about how all the ley lines converged on this
spot. 'Up on Stanton Moor they make wooden secret totems and they hang them
from the trees,' I said.
Eventually
his wife returned and they told me a long and rambling tale of woe and
desperation as I shoved the cheap, bad food into my mouth. I will surmise it
for you: they were broke and broken. An unscrupulous local housing agency a
friend of mine had had dealings with had screwed them good and proper and now
they were paying for a house they could not afford.
'Have you
written them a letter?'
'Friend I’ve
got them a letter at home. I'm going to put a pineapple in it, you what I mean?
A pineapple. It’s in my garage. And then when they git it in the post and they
open it – Boom.'
No comments:
Post a Comment